Diet 24 hours prior to exam:
- Stop sugar intake: no fruit juice, peanut butter, jelly, jams, desserts, candy, cake, soft drinks, yogurt, cereal, chips, crackers, or artificial sweetener.
- Eat a high protein diet: You may eat any type of unbreaded meat, poultry, fish, seafood, cheese and tofu.
- Vegetables (non starchy) that you may have are: spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, green or yellow(wax)beans, zucchini, yellow summer squash, lettuce, tomatoes, bell pepper and cucumbers.
- No pasta, rice, potatoes, bread or beans.
- No caffeine or decaf drinks. no coffee, tea, soft drinks or sports drinks.
- No alcoholic drinks, beer, or wine.
- Do not have any chewing gum, breath mints, cough drops or cough syrup.
- No strenuous or repetitive exercise: no workouts, walking, or jogging. Just relax for the day!
Day of exam:
- If your appointment is noon or later, you may have a small breakfast such as a 1egg veggie omelet prior to 7:00 AM (water and medications are OK).
- No food 5 hours prior to appointment.
- We do want you to drink plenty of water before your appointment. Try to drink 20oz. water 2 hours prior to appointment.
- Wear warm comfortable clothing (sweat shirt and pants are good) without zippers, snaps or metal. Leave all jewelry at home (watches, necklaces, or other objects that may interfere with the scan).
- If you need medications for pain, anxiety, or claustrophobia you may bring them and take them prior to the scan.
- If you are diabetic, do not take any diabetic medication for 4 hours prior to your appointment. If you have any questions concerning your diabetic medication please call (907) 792.7900.
- If you might be pregnant or are breast feeding, please contact us for special instructions. Please do not bring children or pregnant women with you to your appointment due to the risk of exposing them to radiation.
We look forward to meeting you and making you as comfortable as possible during your upcoming scan. Please feel free to call us @ 907.792.7900 if you have any questions.
IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO KEEP THIS APPOINTMENT, PLEASE NOTIFY OUR OFFICE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.